The Tolay Lake Regional Park Master Plan is being prepared to provide a spectrum of outdoor recreation and environmental education opportunities and to protect sensitive habitats and cultural resources.
The Sonoma County Regional Parks Department is seeking input on the Tolay Lake Regional Park Master Plan Draft Environmental Impact Report (EIR). Public comments on the adequacy of the environmental analysis contained in the Draft EIR will be accepted from January 10,
2017 to February 23, 2017. Both the Master Plan and EIR can be viewed or downloaded below.
Submit email comments before February 23, 2017 @ 5:00pm to:
Or in writing to:
Sonoma County Regional Parks
2300 County Center Drive, Suite 120A
Santa Rosa, Ca. 95403
Notice of Availability of an Environmental Impact Report (PDF: 81 kB)
Download the full Environmental Impact Report:
Environmental Impact Report (PDF: 20.5 MB)
Environmental Impact Report Appendix (PDF: 67 MB)
Download the Environmental Impact Report by Section:
Table of Contents (PDF: 1 MB, accessible)
Chapters 1-3 (PDF: 61 MB, accessible)
Chapter 4 (PDF: 16 MB, accessible)
Chapters 5-8 (PDF: 258 kB, accessible)
Appendix A (PDF: 27 MB, accessible)
Appendices B-C (PDF: 10 MB, accessible)
Appendix D (PDF: 20 MB, accessible)
Appendices E-G (PDF: 10 MB, accessible)
Download the full Master Plan and Appendices:
Master Plan (PDF: 33.4 MB)
Master Plan Appendix (PDF: 52 MB)
Download the Master Plan by Section:
Table of Contents (PDF: 1.1 MB, accessible)
Chapters 1-4 (PDF: 14.5 MB, accessible)
Chapter 5 (PDF: 37.2 MB, accessible)
Chapter 6 (PDF: 16.8 MB, accessible)
Chapters 7-9, References (PDF: 18.4 MB, accessible)
Appendices A-C (PDF: 19 MB, accessible)
Appendices D-H (PDF: 20 MB, accessible)
Appendices I-L (PDF: 24 MB, accessible)
Appendix M (PDF: 29 MB, accessible)
Appendices N-O, Q1, R-S (PDF: 3 MB, accessible)
The Final Draft EIR will be completed and we anticipate that the EIR and Master Plan will be taken to the County Board of Supervisors for approval in May 2017.
The Notice of Availability of the Environmental Impact Report and 45-day comment period is from January 10, 2017 to February 23, 2017.
The Notice of Preparation of the Environmental Impact Report and a 45-day comment period began on June 29, 2015. The Public Scoping Meeting was held on July 21, 2015 where public comment and concerns on the analysis of the EIR were heard. The meeting also provided
another opportunity for the public to review the Final Draft Master Plan.
The Final Community Workshop for the Master Plan Public Workshop #3 was held on April 22, 2015. Public input was compiled and resulted in a final working draft layout for Tolay Lake Regional Park.
There is ongoing communication with the State Water Resources Control Board and the California Department of Fish and Wildlife to comply with state environmental law and permitting.
Testing (1-year of testing) and certification of the well has begun and we anticipate completion in spring 2018.
The transfer of the Tolay Creek Ranch property, the southern portion of the future Tolay Lake Regional Park is also underway. All the necessary transactions to transfer the property from the Sonoma Land Trust (the existing property owner) to Regional Parks are being completed.
There are existing lease agreements, title reports, and other various land transfer agreements and issues being resolved before transfer can occur but the anticipated schedule for transfer is January 2017.
A summary of all this work was presented at Workshop #3 (see Be Involved tab) as part of development of the Tolay Lake Master Plan. To receive meeting notices and project updates, please join the project contact list by emailing
firstname.lastname@example.org . You also can subscribe to our
Park Planning Updates to receive periodic updates posted to this webpage.
Interim Access with the Day Use Permit Program
Sonoma County Regional Parks is pleased to offer expanded public access at Tolay Lake Regional Park with the Interim Plan (IP) Day-Use Permit Program.
The IP Day-Use Permit Program allows the public to visit the park during posted hours once they’ve completed an orientation and obtained a permit. Regional Parks is offering these mandatory orientations, free of charge, which cover permit procedures, and rules & regulations online as of August 1, 2015. After the orientation, participants receive Tolay IP Day-Use Permits in the mail. Permit holders may use the park for a variety of activities, including hiking, bicycling, picnicking, or horseback riding. April through September permit holders may access the park on Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 8am to sunset. October through March, permit holders may access the park from 8am to sunset on Saturday and Sunday. Regular day-use parking fees apply.
Opportunities to Become Involved
Public Input Obtained to Date
From October 2012 to date the Tolay Lake Regional Park Master Plan project team has conducted a variety of public engagement activities to solicit stakeholder and community input on desired future activities in the park. Surveys about the Master Plan were distributed
during the Fall Festival in 2012, and an online survey was posted on Regional Park's website in October 2012.
Community workshops were held on the master planning process on June 15, 2013, January 16, 2014 and April 22, 2015 and a scoping meeting for the Notice of Preparation for the Environmental Impact Report on July 21, 2015. Each of the workshops and meetings was well attended
by the many stakeholders and members of the public. The majority were Sonoma County residents, although a number of attendees were from the greater Bay Area. A variety of stakeholder groups were represented, including residents, local land owners, the Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria, various public
agencies, and representatives of specific user groups.
Upcoming Opportunities to be Involved:
- The public will have an opportunity to review and comment on the Draft Environmental Impact Report from January 10, 2017 to February 23, 2017.
- Attend the Board of Supervisors Hearing in late spring 2017 where the Final Master Plan and EIR will be presented.
Community Workshop #1
The June 15th workshop encouraged public participation by presenting an overview of the Tolay Lake Regional Park Master Plan, planning process. Participants were encourage to participate in "walking workshops" and comments were compiled and evaluated by the Master Plan project team to help develop the Conceptual Plans
for public review and comment in Workshop #2. Meeting materials for the first Community Master Plan meeting can be viewed below:
- Workshop #1 Summary (289 kB)
- Community Meeting #1 Agenda (432 kB)
- Community Meeting #1 Agenda - Large Print (449 kB)
- Tolay Lake Regional Park Master Plan Presentation (808 kB)
- Comment Card (37 kB)
- Station #1 - Park Vision: Ideas We've Heard (346 kB)
- Station #2 - Natural and Cultural Resources, and Agricultural Practices (396 kB)
- Station #3 - Recreation and Trails (608 kB)
- Station #4 - Education and Helping People Visit Tolay Lake Regional Park (549 kB)
- Plan Maestro del Parque Regional de Tolay Lake - Puestos 1, 2, 3 y 4 (134 kB)
Community Workshop #2
Community Workshop #2 on January 16, 2014 presented the Master Plan Team's purpose, goals and graphic layouts of Conceptual Alternatives. Public participation was elicited through two work stations. Station One participants reviewed and commented on the North Park Core Area - three Conceptual Design Alternatives.
Station Two participants reviewed and comments were recorded on the three Conceptual Design Alternatives for the entire Tolay Lake Regional Park. At each station Regional Park Staff answered questions and facilitators recorded public comments. Comments to the Conceptual Alternatives from
Workshop #2 are being accepted until March 3, 2014. Community Workshop materials, the Conceptual Plan Alternatives, and how to provide comments can be viewed below:
- Workshop #2 Summary (290 kB)
- Workshop #2 Meeting Agenda (181 kB)
- Tolay Master Plan Progress (1 MB)
- Existing Condition Maps (3.5 MB)
- Alternatives Framework (137 kB)
- Full Site Conceptual Interpretive Plan Map (6.7 MB)
- Full Site Conceptual Plan Map - Option A (25 MB)
- Full Site Conceptual Plan Map - Option B (25 MB)
- Full Site Conceptual Plan Map - Option C (34 MB)
- Tolay Plan Alternatives Table (110 kB)
- Conceptual Plan North Core Maps - Option A (13 MB)
- Conceptual Plan North Core Maps - Option B (13 MB)
- Conceptual Plan North Core Maps - Option C (13 MB)
- Tolay Workshop #2 Comment Sheet (133 kB)
Community Workshop #3
Community Workshop #3, held April 22, 2015, was the final development workshop for the Master Plan. The preferred elements of the Master Plan were presented, based on additional studies and public input from Workshop #2. Participants were invited to review
the plans at three stations. Station One presented the North Park Core Area final preferred draft. Station Two presented the lake restoration alternatives, including the preferred alternative. Station Three presented the park interior and trails. At each station, project experts and parks staff answered
questions and public comments were recorded by meeting facilitators. Comments on the preferred alternative Draft Master Plan from Workshop #3 will be accepted through May 21, 2015. Workshop materials and instructions for providing comments can be viewed below:
- Tolay Lake Workshop 3 Meeting Agenda (171 kB)
- Tolay Master Plan Progress Workshop 3 (906 kB)
- Tolay Lake Workshop Factsheet (168 kB)
- Tolay Site Options Framework (121 kB)
- Tolay Draft Preferred Trails Plan (507 kB)
- Tolay Full Site Conceptual Interpretative Plan Map Workshop 3 (1.02 MB)
- Tolay Restoration Areas and Biological Communities (1 MB)
- Tolay Emergency Access Plan Map (502 kB)
- Tolay Test Borehole Location Plan Map (237 kB)
Northern Park Core:
- Tolay Northern Core Draft Preferred Conceptual Site Plan (342 kB)
- Tolay Northern Core Wastewater Plan Map (233 kB)
- Tolay Cannon Lane Road Improvements (259 kB)
- Tolay Northern Core Emergency Access Plan Map (323 kB)
- Tolay Potential new Features (351 kB)
- Tolay Lake Restoration Goals and Photos (558 kB)
- Tolay Lake Alternatives Pros and Cons (325 kB)
- Tolay Lake Restoration Water Budget Board (340 kB)
- Tolay Lake Preferred Lake Alternative (1.38 MB)
- Tolay Workshop 3 Comment Sheet (22kB)
Environmental Impact Report Notice of
Preparation Scoping Meeting
The July 21, 2015 Notice of Preparation Environmental Impact Report Scoping Meeting for the Tolay Lake Regional Park Master Plan offered the opportunity for the public to ask questions about the Master Plan and environmental review process, and to provide comments on the
scope of the environmental analysis that will be conducted in the EIR. The meeting included a presentation providing an overview and summary of the proposed Tolay Lake Regional Park Master Plan and the environmental review process for the project. After the presentation, the meeting opened to question
and answer period, provided time to review the final draft plans, and allowed for verbal and written public comment on the project and the scope of the analysis of the EIR.
As described in the June 29, 2015 NOP, the EIR will analyze the potential environmental impacts associated with construction, operation, and maintenance of the proposed project. Specific areas of analysis will include: aesthetics, agricultural and forest resources,
air quality, biological resources, cultural resources, geology and soils, greenhouse gases, hazards, hydrology and water quality, land use, energy and mineral resources, noise, population and housing, public services, recreation, transportation and traffic, and utilities and service systems. These resource
categories are included in Appendix G to the State CEQA Guidelines. The meeting agenda and presentation can be viewed below:
- Scoping Meeting Agenda (155 KB)
- Tolay Lake Scoping Meeting Presentation (1.97 MB
- Tolay NOP Scoping Meeting Factsheet July 21, 2015 (184 KB)