The Tolay Lake Regional Park Master Plan is being prepared to provide a spectrum of outdoor recreation and environmental education benefits to Sonoma County residents and other visitors, and to protect sensitive habitats and cultural resources. The Master Plan process will take about two years and includes three major phases. Phase 1, “Discovery”, has been ongoing since October 2012 and will be completed in early July 2013.
Tolay Lake Regional Park includes 15 buildings, a seasonal lake, hiking trails, a picnic area, numerous pre-historic resource sites, sensitive habitats, as well as rare, threatened, and endangered species. The Park is accessible to the public on weekends by permit only. The Park also hosts environmental education activities, offers guided tours, and hosts the annual Fall Festival.
Public Input Obtained to Date
Between October 2012 and February 2014, the Tolay Lake Regional Park Master Plan project team conducted a variety of public engagement activities designed to solicit stakeholder and community input regarding desired future activities in the park. Surveys about the Master Plan were distributed during the Fall Festival in 2012, and an online survey was posted on the Regional Park’s website in October 2012.
On June 15, 2013 and January 16, 2014 community workshops were held on the master planning process. Over 50 stakeholders and members of the public were in attendance at each of the workshops. The majority were Sonoma County residents, although there were also a number of attendees from the greater Bay Area. A variety of stakeholder groups were represented, including residents, local land owners, the Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria (FIGR), various public agencies, and representatives of specific user groups.
Community Workshop #1
The June 15th workshop encouraged public participation by presenting an overview of the Tolay Lake Regional Park Master Plan, planning process. Participants were encourage to participate in “walking workshops” and comments were compiled and evaluated by the Master Plan project team to help develop the Conceptual Plans for public review and comment in Workshop #2. Meeting materials for the first Community Master Plan meeting can be viewed below:
- Workshop #1 Summary (289 kB)
- Community Meeting #1 Agenda (432 kB)
- Community Meeting #1 Agenda - Large Print (449 kB)
- Tolay Lake Regional Park Master Plan Presentation (808 kB)
- Comment Card (37 kB)
- Station #1 - Park Vision: Ideas We've Heard (346 kB)
- Station #2 - Natural and Cultural Resources, and Agricultural Practices (396 kB)
- Station #3 - Recreation and Trails (608 kB)
- Station #4 - Education and Helping People Visit Tolay Lake Regional Park (549 kB)
- Plan Maestro del Parque Regional de Tolay Lake - Puestos 1, 2, 3 y 4 (134 kB)
Community Workshop #2
Community Workshop #2 on January 16, 2014 presented the Master Plan Team's purpose, goals and graphic layouts of Conceptual Alternatives. Public participation was elicited through two work stations. Station One participants reviewed and commented on the North Park Core Area - three Conceptual Design Alternatives. Station Two participants reviewed and comments were recorded on the three Conceptual Design Alternatives for the entire Tolay Lake Regional Park. At each station Regional Park Staff answered questions and facilitators recorded public comments. Comments to the Conceptual Alternatives from Workshop #2 are being accepted until March 3, 2014. Community Workshop materials, the Conceptual Plan Alternatives, and how to provide comments can be viewed below:
- Workshop #2 Summary (290 kB)
- Workshop #2 Meeting Agenda (181 kB)
- Tolay Master Plan Progress (1 MB)
- Existing Condition Maps (3.5 MB)
- Alternatives Framework (137 kB)
- Full Site Conceptual Interpretive Plan Map (6.7 MB)
- Full Site Conceptual Plan Map - Option A (25 MB)
- Full Site Conceptual Plan Map - Option B (25 MB)
- Full Site Conceptual Plan Map - Option C (34 MB)
- Tolay Plan Alternatives Table (110 kB)
- Conceptual Plan North Core Maps - Option A (13 MB)
- Conceptual Plan North Core Maps - Option B (13 MB)
- Conceptual Plan North Core Maps - Option C (13 MB)
- Tolay Workshop #2 Comment Sheet (133 kB)
How to Stay Involved
Regional Parks and its consultant are evaluating public input for the next public meeting workshop planned for summer 2014.
- Learn about the Master Plan
- Consider draft park design and provide comment
For more information or to join the project email list, please email Tolayplanning@migcom.com. You also can subscribe to the Park Planning Updates which will automatically notify you when this webpage changes. Please continue to check this webpage for periodic updates and new documents.