Visit the park
Download the map
(PDF: 11.47 MB)
This nearly 2000-acre park offers a variety of hiking, biking, picnicking, and equestrian opportunities. On a clear day, you can see the San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge from Gunsight Rock and the Valley View Trail. Please note that most trails are for experienced hikers in good physical condition. Please allow ample time for hikes as park gates close at sunset. Smoking and fires are not allowed within the park. Dogs are allowed in Regional Parks only when leash laws are followed. Sugarloaf State Parks does have adjoining trails, however no dogs are allowed within the state park.
The southeastern portion of the park is accessed via the Pythian RoadTrailhead. It is located 1.3 miles up the North side of Pythian Rd., off Highway 12. To reach the horse trailer parking lot, drive.5 miles up Pythian Road off Hwy 12 and turn left onto Eliza Way. Continue 600' to equestrian parking between the two brick buildings.
The northwestern portion of the park is accessed via Los Alamos Road,a very winding and narrow road. RV's and vehicles with trailers should use extreme caution.
- Los Alamos Road - Parking Lot Trailhead
- Hood Mountain Trail to the Summit: 4.7 miles
- Hood Mountain/Goodspeed Trail through Adobe Canyon: 8.4 miles
- Pythian Road Main Parking Trailhead
- Hood Mountain Summit via Panorama Ranch/Upper Johnson: 3.1 miles
- Adobe Canyon Road - Goodspeed Trailhead
- Gunsight Rock Vista: 3.7 miles
- Goodspeed/Hood Mountain Trail through Los Alamos Road: 8.4 miles