Pinnacle Gulch Coastal Access Trail
20600 Mockingbird Road, Bodega Bay
Sunrise to sunset.
$7 per vehicle. Free for Regional Parks members.
Permitted on leash no longer than 6 feet. License required.
The Pinnacle Gulch Coastal Access Trail leads to a beautiful, quiet beach on Bodega Bay. Pinnacle Gulch is the perfect place to send a day relaxing, picnicking and exploring the shoreline. The trailhead is across from a small parking area in the Bodega Harbour golf community. At low tide, the trail can be hiked as a 1.9-mile loop with the Shorttail Gulch Trail Coastal Access Trail
. Low tide also allows visitors to hike from Pinnacle Gulch to Doran Beach
Pinnacle Gulch Coastal Access Trail
20600 Mockingbird Road
This park is featured in the
Sonoma County Trails Challenge
, which invites you to get out and get active by hiking five of 15 routes highlighted in the new Trails Challenge
(28.73 MB). Submit a trails log when you finish all five hikes and get a free Trails Challenge gift!
Trailhead to beach and back
Loop length: 1.29 miles round trip
Degree of difficulty: Moderate
Elevation Gain: 350 feet (on the return)
- This half-mile trail leads to Pinnacle Beach, a picturesque cove on Bodega Bay south of Doran Regional Park.
- Pinnacle Beach is only a quarter-mile long but is the place to go when seeking a secluded coastal experience. You likely will find only a few other people on the beach.
- The beach is dotted with interesting rocks and tide pools, and a distinctive rock formation is just off shore. The beach offers great birding and occasional whale sightings.
- The unpaved trail descends a steep gulch fed by a seasonal stream and lined with cypress, wax myrtle, willows, coastal scrub, berries and other brush. Wildflowers are abundant in spring and summer. There are some steps and bridge crossings.
- At low-tide, this walk can be extended to a 3-mile loop by walking south from Pinnacle Beach to Shorttail Beach and hiking up Shorttail Gulch Trail. However, this is advisable only when the tide is out. It's also possible to walk north from Pinnacle to Doran Beach and back at low tide.
- Trailhead parking includes a restroom and drinking fountain.
- From the parking lot, cross Mockingbird Road to the posted trailhead and follow the dirt path.
- You'll parallel the road for a bit before descending on short switchbacks and entering the narrow canyon that is Pinnacle Gulch.
- Follow the path to the beach. You'll cross several wooden foot bridges and some steps, including at the end of the trail where steps lead to the sand.
- Reverse your route to return to the parking lot. The walk back is a steady, gradual climb.
- As you approach the south end of Bodega Bay on Highway 1, turn south on South Harbor Way into the Bodega Harbour community. The turn-off is just south of the entrance to Doran Beach Regional Park.
- Drive one block to the end of the street.
- Turn left on Heron Drive and continue .9 miles to Mockingbird Road.
- Turn left on Mockingbird Road and go .1 miles to the posted trailhead on the right. Park in the lot on the left.
- Parking is $7 or free for Regional Parks members.
View Map and Get
Use Google Pegman in the above map for street view of trails
Hike 5 or more trails and get a free Trails Challenge gift! Download the updated trails guidebook (28.73 MB) to get started! Save to your phone or tablet with free apps like iBooks and Adobe Reader.
* New for 2015
Take the Trails Challenge - there's a trail for everyone!
Trails Map 470 kB
Some content on this page is saved in alternate format. To view these files, download
the following software.
for downloading compressed files