Supervisors Approve Regional Parks Ballot Measure
August 12, 2016
The Board of Supervisors
voted unanimously Aug. 9 to place a proposal for a half-cent sales tax for park
improvements on the Nov. 8 ballot. (Read the Expenditure Plan, Expenditure Plan Project Descriptions, & FAQs.)
If approved by voters, the
sales tax would support Regional Parks' long-term needs to manage and develop
new parks and trails, improve existing parks and trails, protect natural
resources, and serve the public with education, recreation and health programs.
The Board’s action gives
final approval to an ordinance establishing the proposed Sonoma County Regional
Parks and Water Quality Improvement tax. The measure will take effect if
approved by two-thirds of voters in unincorporated Sonoma County. An integral
part of the proposed measure is the Expenditure Plan, which details how the
sales tax would be spent.
Passage of the measure would allow Regional Parks to:
- Increase public access by improving campgrounds, countywide walking, hiking, biking and equestrian trails, picnic areas, restrooms, and other facilities
- Maintain and enhance parks and open space throughout the county
- Address deferred maintenance, as detailed in the Expenditure Plan
- Protect watersheds, water sources and recharge areas, including rivers, creeks, estuaries and streams, and enhance protection of natural areas and wildlife habitat
- Manage vegetation to preserve biodiversity and reduce wildfire risk
- Pursue the potential co-management of Sonoma Coast State Park, including Bodega Head and Willow Creek
- Provide funding for programs related to environmental education and healthy living and expand outreach to diverse communities
- Establish independent citizens' oversight, mandatory financial audits and annual reports
Read the Aug. 9 staff report.
Read the ordinance to establish the tax measure.
For more information, please contact Regional Parks' Deputy Director James Nantell at (707) 565-2041 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some content on this page is saved in alternate format. To view these files, download
the following software.
for downloading compressed files