Sunset Beach River Park
11403 River Road, Forestville, CA 95436
Sunset Beach is a destination for summer fun on the Russian River. Swimming, sunbathing, picnicking and paddling are favorite warm-weather activities. Fishing, birding, and wildlife viewing are popular activities year-round.
From the parking area, a short, unpaved trail leads to a rocky beach with upstream views of the river, the Hacienda Bridge and hillsides covered with redwoods.
Picnic areas and a portable restroom are available near the parking lot.
Sunset Beach is the recommended end point for summer tubing trips that begin at Steelhead Beach. See our blog post: Tubing the Russian River: How to plan a float trip, or learn more about the Regional Parks River Shuttle.
Please practice Leave No Trace principles and do not leave rafts and tubes on the beach at the end of your visit. All flotation devices left behind are trash and can pollute the river and harm wildlife.
Canoes, kayaks and paddleboards can be launched from the beach year-round. Paddlers must walk their boats from the parking lot to the river via the beach access trail.
Sunset Beach is busy on summer weekends, and the park entrance will close temporarily when the parking lot fills. Arrive early for the best chance of finding parking or take the Regional Parks River Shuttle from El Molino High School in Forestville. Street parking is not available.
Lifeguards are not on duty. Free loaner life vests are available on the beach during the summer. See our blog post on Russian River safety tips.
- Alcohol consumption is not allowed in the park or on the beach from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day.
- Fires or barbecues are not allowed on the beach.
- Dogs allowed on leash, and must remain on leash even while swimming.
Sunset Beach has accessible parking, accessible portable restroom and an accessible picnic site. An unpaved trail to the river is soft and difficult for individuals that use mobility devices.
- Summer Season (weekends and holidays only): On weekends and holidays between Memorial Day and Labor Day, commercial bus operators are not permitted to drop off or pick up passengers at the Regional Parks river beaches, with the exception of Healdsburg Veterans Memorial Beach. Commercial shuttle and charter buses may make free reservations with C3 Transportation to transport passengers on the Regional Parks River Shuttle at least 48 hours in advance by calling 415-727-7158.
- Summer Season (weekdays only): On weekdays between Memorial Day and Labor Day, commercial bus operators will need to obtain a permit in advance before dropping off or picking up passengers at the Regional Parks river beaches. Commercial buses without reservations will not be allowed in the parks.
- Off-Season (Fall/Winter/Spring): On any day between Labor Day and Memorial Day, commercial bus operators will need to obtain a permit in advance before dropping off or picking up passengers at the Regional Parks river beaches. Commercial buses without reservations will not be allowed in the parks.