Mark West Creek Park & Preserve - Project Detail
- The 1,192 acre Mark West Regional Park & Open Space Preserve will require a significant planning and community engagement effort aimed at preserving the natural resources of this amazing property, while providing passive recreational opportunities to the public.
- Regional Parks will be working closely with the Sonoma County Agricultural Preservation & Open Space District (Ag + Open Space) and Environmental Science Associates (ESA) during this process.
- Ag + Open Space holds a conservation easement on the property which protects the conservation values of the property, defines building envelopes for park development, and helps guide the programs, services, and facilities to enhance public access.
- Regional Parks has implemented a park preview plan that began in the spring of 2019. The plan opened the property on one day a month so the public can experience first-hand the beauty and natural resources of the proposed park. Initial improvements to provide parking and some minor trail development within the property were completed to support park preview days. The park entrance on Porter Creek Road, the park driveway and gate were improved for public access. Plans to improve the existing vehicle bridge across Porter Creek are currently in the permitting process.
- While the park preview program is operating, Regional Parks will be working with ESA and the Ag + Open Space on the development of the master plan, environmental document, and resource management plan. This master planning process will include extensive web-based community engagement to develop a vision for the property and consider opportunities and constraints, the preparation of master plan alternatives for discussion and comment, the selection of a preferred master plan, and the preparation and processing of an environmental document and resource management plan for the park.
- Regional Parks looks forward to sharing this astounding property with the public, and working together to develop a Master Plan that reflects the local values and desires for a truly amazing park and preserve.