- Bird Watching
- Boating and Paddling
- Horseback Riding
- Outreach Programs
- Tolay Fall Festival
- Trails Challenge
- Back to Swimming
Swim Lessons for Kids; Water-Safety Training for Parents
Teaching young children and families how to be safe around water continues to be an urgent summertime issue. In addition to providing Water Safety Patrol lifeguards at our most frequently visited recreation sites, Regional Parks has resumed the popular Vamos a Nadar (Let’s go Swimming) water safety program again in 2022.
Designed to reduce drowning deaths in our community, Vamos a Nadar has reached more than 2,000 young people in Sonoma County since launching in 2004. The program partners with local pools, swim instructors, Regional Parks lifeguards to teach lessons to kids ages 5 and up and educate parents and children about the hazards presented by pools, rivers, and lakes. Among other things, the classes inform parents how to evaluate conditions, emphasize the importance of observing aquatic safety rules, provide tips for monitoring children as well as rescue techniques for areas where lifeguards are not present.
Both the Parks Foundation and Regional Parks’ lifeguard staff strongly believe in the efficacy of Vamos a Nadar, which typically serves families with limited resources who otherwise probably could not afford swim lessons. After each workshop, families are invited to enjoy and explore the swimming areas together. Each family also receives a coupon for additional swim lessons at all local pools involved in the program for a reduced price of $15.
Please see the program dates and schedule below. To register, call 707-565-8034 or email: Anika.Salguero@sonoma-county.org to reserve a spot.
- Saturday, April 16 from 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. - Ridgeway Pool, Santa Rosa
- Saturday, May 7 from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. - Honeybee Pool, Rohnert Park
- Sunday, May 15 from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. - YMCA, Santa Rosa
- Saturday, June 11 from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. - Healdsburg Swim Center, Healdsburg
- Sunday, June 12 from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. - Ives Pool, Sebastopol
- Saturday, June 18 from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. - YMCA, Cloverdale
- Sunday, June 19 from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. - Sonoma Aquatic Center, Sonoma
- Sunday, June 19 from 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. - Petaluma Swim Center, Petaluma
- Sunday, June 26 from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. - Windsor Senior Center, Windsor